Indian Journal of Cancer
Home  ICS  Feedback Subscribe Top cited articles Login 
Users Online :2609
Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size
Navigate Here
 »   Next article
 »   Previous article
 »   Table of Contents

Resource Links
 »   Similar in PUBMED
 »  Search Pubmed for
 »  Search in Google Scholar for
 »Related articles
 »   Citation Manager
 »   Access Statistics
 »   Reader Comments
 »   Email Alert *
 »   Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed2450    
    Printed92    
    Emailed1    
    PDF Downloaded416    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal

 

 MINI SYMPOSIUM: BREAST CANCER
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 50  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 46-51

Effect of neoadjuvant chemotherapy on stromal CD10 antigens in breast cancer - A preliminary study


1 Department of Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Marg, New Delhi, India
2 Department of Pathology, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Marg, New Delhi, India

Correspondence Address:
S Thomas
Department of Surgery, Lady Hardinge Medical College, Shaheed Bhagat Singh Marg, New Delhi
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/0019-509X.112299

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: CD10 is a zinc-dependent peptidase (metalloproteinase). Stromal CD10 expression in breast cancer correlates with poor prognosis, oestrogen receptor negativity and higher grade. CD10 may be a potential target of new cancer therapies as it is involved in cleavage of doxorubicin. Aim: To evaluate the effect of neo-adjuvant anthracycline-based chemotherapy on status of stromal CD10 antigens in breast cancer. Materials and Methods: Patients with invasive breast cancer scheduled for anthracycline-based neo-adjuvant chemotherapy were included in the study. Tumor stromal CD10 expression was estimated before and after 3 cycles of chemotherapy, and change in its status was correlated with clinical response to chemotherapy. Results: 16 out of the 29 patients had strong CD10 expression; in these 16 patients, 14 (87.5%) were hormone receptor negative, and 14 (87.5%) had HER-2/neu overexpression. Stromal CD10 expression remained same in 13 out of 29 cases (44.83%) after chemotherapy. There was a change in CD10 expression in the remaining 16 cases (55.17%); in 13 cases (44.83%) it decreased from its pre-chemotherapy status, while its expression increased in 3 cases (10.34%). In cases of complete and partial clinical response, there was no increase in CD10 expression. Where CD10 expression had increased after chemotherapy, there was either a minor response or no response to chemotherapy. In 13 cases where CD10 expression had decreased, 12 cases had a clinical response to chemotherapy. Conclusions: Strong CD10 expression correlates with hormone receptor negativity and HER-2/neu overexpression. Stromal CD10 expression in breast cancer is not static and changes with neo-adjuvant anthracycline-based chemotherapy. A stable or decrease in CD10 expression correlates with complete or partial clinical response, while an increase in CD10 expression appears to correlate with poor clinical response. A larger series is required to determine the clinical significance of these changes. As stromal CD10 expression and its change with chemotherapy may have a prognostic significance, they should be documented in breast cancer patients before and after chemotherapy.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article

  Site Map | What's new | Copyright and Disclaimer
  Online since 1st April '07
  © 2007 - Indian Journal of Cancer | Published by Wolters Kluwer - Medknow